Agriskills entry program
The Agriskills Entry Program is perfect for those looking to start a career in Agriculture or looking to upskill in their current jobs.
Developed by FGT and TasTAFE, the Agriskills Entry Program is designed as the entry level training for the agriculture sector as part of COVID-19 recovery plan. It is aimed at a pathway into employment and potential transition into either a Certificate II traineeship or Certificate III apprenticeship.
The program brings 10 units together in a single discounted Agriskills Entry Program. This program will provide the entry level skills growers have called for over a number of years and enable their current and prospective employees to be ‘job ready’!
This program is packaged into 3 skill sets:
Agriskills Entry Program (Skill Set 1) $500 (capped if you are not eligible for concession fees)
- Provide First Aid
- Shift materials safely using manual handling methods
- Operate quad bikes
- Operate side by side utility vehicles
- Operate and maintain chainsaws
Agriskills Entry Program (Skill Set 2) $500 (capped if you are not eligible for concession fees)
- Licence to operate a forklift truck (need to be 18 years or older)
- Operate tractors
- Conduct front-end loader operations
Agriskills Entry Program (Skill Set 3) $200 (capped)
- AHCCHM304 Transport and store chemicals
- AHCCHM307 Prepare and apply chemicals to control pests, weeds and disease
Training is delivered statewide through a mix of online theory and a total of 10 days of face to face practical learning and assessments. Each accredited skill set successfully completed, is counted as a credit towards a Certificate II or III in Agriculture or Production Horticulture.
Students must first complete the online theory component before being scheduled to undertake practical sessions.
Entry to the program is open to persons who are
- of working age;
- a resident of Tasmania;
- an Australian or New Zealand citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or on a state sponsored visa on a pathway to permanent residence; and
- seeking ongoing employment opportunities in Tasmania's agricultural sectors.
This program is heavily subsidised, saving up to 55% off normal course fees and eligible concession card holders can save up to 70%. For persons who have lost employment due to COVID-19 and are looking to move into the Tasmanian agricultural industry, additional supporting funds of up to $3,000 through the Tasmanian Government's Rapid Response Skills Training Support initiative are available.